Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Book Review: Miracles Happen by Mary Kay Ash

God created the world, and he said, "That's good." Then He created man, and He said, "That's pretty good, but I can do better." So He created woman. -Mary Kay Ash

I was not sure about this book when I picked it up, it has been on my bookshelf for over a year. I have  always been iffy about autobiography's, sometimes they are amazing and other times I do not care for them. This book was a great read. A while ago my mom became a Mary Kay Consultant and I was her helper, but we both did not really get into it. This book came with the new consultant kit that we had purchased. 

As I read the book it is exactly what the front cover says. It is a mix between an autobiography of Mary Kay Ash and a business manual of sorts that shows the values of the Mary Kay Cosmetics company. The book is filled with all kinds of crazy and amazing stories told by Ash. God was truly on her side as she grew her business. She beat all the odds against her and proved to everyone who doubted her that she could do anything she set her mind too. This makes it easily relatable to many aspects of life. If you work hard and have faith, you can achieve whatever you set out to do. This is what all of Ash's practices encompass. There is a strong sense of power of the woman throughout the book without degrading men in any sort of way and I found that very enlightening. 

I would give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. The story is amazing and the book is full of wonderful advice for entrepreneurs. However I did take away one star because some of the practices discussed in the book seem to be a bit outdated. That is understandable considering the time frame of the life and business of Mary Kay Ash. Even with a few practices discussed that I may not totally agree with, I still think this book is well worth reading! I am an entrepreneurship minor and have only taken one class for it so far, a basic introductory course, so many of the language used on the business end of the book was very relatable to my studies. However, if you have never taken any sort of business or entrepreneurship class you would still be able to understand the book no problem. 

xoxo, tay




No comments:

Post a Comment