Monday, December 5, 2016

My Recent Reads

Books are a uniquely portable magic. -Stephen King

  1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon: The first time I heard about this book was through a book-tuber (a YouTuber who discusses books). She was obsessed with the book and raved about it in several of her videos. I made a mental note to look into the book, but never actively sought it out. Over the summer, while delving into the book section of a Goodwill, my eyes fell upon Outlander, and memories of hearing some girl on YouTube obsess over this story sparked. I picked it up from the shelf, but did not dive into it until recently. Holy moly, I am obsessed. This book is SO GOOD. I highly encourage everyone to pick this up somehow and read it. I am so excited to get the next book so I may continue into the series. The book is large, so it takes dedication, but I was so immersed in the story that I flew through it. I read it in all of my spare time. The story did have a few areas that became slow, but push through those and you will not be disappointed. The book is about a young woman who discovers a Scottish Stone Hedge and ends up being transported back in time to the medieval Scottish countryside that is full of savage Englishmen and Scottish Clans. Along the way, she comes across a young man, and you will have to read the book to find out what happens between the two!
  2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini: When I think of this book, I think of high school. Many of my friends had to read this for their English classes and loved it. I was spared from this book in my classes, and was actually a bit sad about it. I loved when we read novels in class. While in Goodwill, the same trip that I found Outlander, I came across this novel. I picked it up and kept it for when I needed something to read. I started it after I finished Outlander, and it was a bit of an adjustment. I hate to say this, but I honestly did not care for the book. It was definitely a good story, full of twists I never expected, and even touching in some parts, especially the end. However, I found myself finishing it purely to finish the story and get it out of the way. It took me longer to read than a book that size normally would. The story did, however, have some eye opening moments. It was my first time reading anything about that area of the world, and in that time period. 
  3. Carrie by Stephen King: This book is very different for me. In high school, a boy I was dating absolutely LOVED Stephen Kings novel The Gunslinger, and I wanted to share that experience and discuss the story with him. However, in my mind it was quite boring. It threw me away from Stephen King for awhile, but here I am. I picked up a copy of Carrie from my schools library for this little experiment. It is a smaller book, so I figured it would be easier to get through. I have seen the movie, so this also made me curious to read this book. I regret seeing the movie before reading the book. So much. I am, again, not used to reading this style of writing, but found it much more interesting than The Gunslinger. The writing itself, in the story, was beautiful. The imagery really helps one to envision the scene in your head. The story was a creative and a unique twist to a normal magical phenomenon for other similar pieces. I am definitely interested in reading another book, one that I haven't seen the movie for already!


No comments:

Post a Comment