Sunday, June 26, 2016

Camp Week 2

I got to share a cabin with Olivia, another team member and we had an awesome week with our girls!
Not gonna lie, after last week I was left wondering if I am really cut out to be a camp counselor. Did the kids really deserve to have me serving for them? Was I even good enough? I don't know, but after this week I feel much better about this job. I had an amazing week with kids that I was definitely not ready to send them home. I didn't feel like I wanted to be done sharing God's love with them, but every week comes to an end and every Monday new kids will pour into camp with open minds and open hearts.

I was assigned to be on high school camp and after this past week ended I can confidently say that I work best with the older campers. As I said in my last post, I just do not seem to be gifted with the gift of working with young children and I have come to terms with that fact. Of course working with high schoolers has its own set of challenges that working with elementary school aged kids does not have; However, these challenges I feel more excited to explore and take on.

I definitely had to rely on other counselors to help me out sometimes. I am still figuring things out as I am new to team and have not had every camp yet (obviously, it is only week 2). In addition to the help of team members I had an adult volunteer, named Josh, that I co-lead a small group with. Josh is a past team member who I had known already and really helped me out teaching my first real small group. Shoutout to Josh for being an awesome A.V.! I am so thankful to have all of the help and am excited to see what week three has in store for me.

xoxo, tay

No comments:

Post a Comment